Idle question

Mike East mweast at prodigy.net
Tue May 11 21:11:35 AKDT 2004

what type of pushrod setup do you have? Connection at the servo, at the carburetor, and what type of pushrod. Is it bent,,, does it flex?It sounds like either you have slop in your servo or your pushrod is flexing. Or the throttle horn that the pushrod connects to at the throttle is loose and is slipping.

Heres how I setup mine. You may already know all of this,,, and this may not be perfect but it works well and it was given to my by pattern guys that frequent this forum.
1. Set the transmitter throttle trim at neutral.
2. Center the servo at mid throttle and put the servo arm on where it is as close to perpindicular to the pushrod as possible.
3. Setup the mechanical throw to where you can set the transmitter endpoint rates at full throttle and no throttle at 140% or the MOST you can get for optimum resolution.
4. Once you get that done go to low throttle and mechanically readjust the low end set the endpoint to leave a gap in the carburetor butterfly just enough to slide a pushpin through at zero throttle, not more than about 1/32", just a tiny gap. That will leave you room to tweak the rate on the "throttle cut" function so that you can kill the engine and be able to adjust the low idle with the trim. Once I get mechanically setup I set the low ilde with the trim 1st and then go to the throttle cut function and set the rate up just high enough to immediately kill the engine but not so high that you bottom out the pushrod and put the servo in a bind.

** Something else that helps is to use the "idle down" function on the 9C or if you have a Futaba 9Z setup the left slider so that you can have a high/low idle for flight. With the slider upon the 9Z, or the "idle down switch" off on the 9C, you can idle high enough to get good stall turn power and a higher idle during flight to prevent deadstick, but be able to pull the slider down or "switch the idle down" function on with a switch and go to 2000rpms for landing.

On my 9C I use the the short switch on the left for my "Throttle Cut" or "Kill Switch" and I use the longer switch just to the right of it for "idle down".

Just what works for me..

Mike