Charging concerns/questions with NMP Lithium Ion batteries

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Sat May 8 00:22:04 AKDT 2004

Dave,

The only failure mode I have seen on the batts is that they do not come up
to full charge after a long period of use like 1yr to 18months. My original
battery pack comes off the charger now at 7.9V not the 8.4 when it was new.
The charger still goes to zero amps....and the battery is as charged as it
will ever get. And its capacity is less as a result. These batteries seem to
be very predictable. That is the main reason I like them.

I flew about 7-8 flights this morning on the lake bed just back to back to
back...and I was getting exactly 0.15V drop per flight. I was actually
guessing the voltage under load before sticking the meter on the plane.....I
only missed on the last flight and I missed by 0.01V....Last year I was
flying before the NATS and found larger current drains...like double per
flight...Guess what I started checking my model out and found a loose motor
mount...Also current drain is directly related to servo pot and gear train
wear! So another reason to have predictable power system.

As for charger issues...as Jim Oddino stated the charger has an actual
current meter on it. Its an analog meter so you can see the actual milliamps
flowing into the battery pack. As stated by Jim also you get used to the
numbers and if you plug in and see strange values it sets the alarm off in
your brain.

When the battery is charged or taken all it can take then the rules of
electricity are proven on the am-meter. The current goes to Zero! So unless
Ohm's law fails I don't see how the charger will screw up a battery pack...

Of course anything can happen. Components can fail, I don't know what the
failure issues could be in the charger because I have never seen one. Same
with my Wall wart chargers that came with my radios never seen a failure
there either.....In my 20+ years of modeling I have cooked and burned up
Nicd packs, for various reasons  even had a couple leave a mark on the
table, floor, or in the plane.....I don't stick a battery on to charge and
go to bed. The only exception is the nicads that come with the TX or my
nicads in my B+P starter. These have dedicated chargers (hummmmm theme
here?) that are designed for this charge overnight at the c/10 rate.

As for Central Hobbies, I have been a customer of Centrals for many many
years. My relationship with them over the years has grown to allow me to
test and help refine some the products they bring to serve the pattern
modeler.

As others have said I am an advocate of their products and service. I'm not
paid, I'm a happy customer. I am also a customer of many other modeling
companies. Looking at my shop, I have Prather med fuel tubing, Radio South
CA hinges, Gator stab adjusters and some Bob Smith CA (both Thick and thin),
and a Hyde Mount on the shelf. I only advocate products and stuff that I use
myself. There are some products that I choose not to use, in favor of my
favorite version. We all have these....the Ultracote- Monocote, or Zap-BSI,
or Coolpower-Magnum....

Those that know me, know that I'm an honest straight shooter....Why would I
want to talk bad about a product that I don't use. There is enough of this
already on this list and in RCU......Product and Company bashing seems to
have grown into a 3 headed monster with the Internet. I just choose not to
play.

Rather I just tell people what I choose to use and why I use it. I never
advocate the use of a product that I don't have personal experience with.
It's your choice to take the advice or leave it.....It's is worth what you
paid for it. I know that when I spend my modeling dollars I pick the
products that I think work the best for me.

Troy Newman