Charging concerns/questions with NMP Lithium Ion batteries

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Fri May 7 14:39:46 AKDT 2004

Amen to that, Ed.

And Cameron, the word is out there. Unlike 2 years ago, people now know (at
least on this list) of the POTENTIAL hazards lithium batteries can cause.
That is all that can be done from our perspective, and perhaps all that
needs to be done. Anyone that knows the risks and uses these batteries
should at least take some precautions, and that's all you can really do.

I choose to not use them, because personally the risks outweigh the
benefits. Let's take a 2 cell, L-Ion receiver pack. It weighs about 2.5
ounces. You need a regulator, so now we're at about 3 ounces or thereabouts.
if you use a 4 cell duralite plus, it actually weighs MORE than a 2000 mah
NiMH pack.

A NiMH 2000 mah pack weighs 4.7 ounces and has roughly the same power. There
are differences of course, but ROUGHLY it's the same power. Maybe you can
get 10 flights opposed to 9 with a NiMH? Whoopity doo.

So, for all of the hassle, the risk, we save a whopping 1.7 ounces. Bro I
can sand that difference off my plane.

Super duper intellicharge 2000 or wth-ever, it just isn't worth it to me for
1.7 ounces. And usually I run a SR 1100, which weighs 3.8 ounces, so now
we're only talking less than an ounce, but slightly more power. I think I'll
just charge more often and be happy about it.

-Mike
P.S. Troy aren't you sponsored by Central Hobbies? Just curious, not like it
matters =)