rules proposals final result

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 11:31:07 AKDT 2004

I noticed the same thing, I'm guessing it was a printing error.

Marty King <mking46516 at yahoo.com> wrote:Speaking of contest board members, did any one else catch Dave Von L. listed back in the latest Model Aviation as D-7's board person? Did something happen to Vern or is the AMA publisher up to his old tricks........

Marty
NSRCA 2551
D-4

"Atwood, Mark" <atwoodm at paragon-inc.com> wrote:
Well, I appreciate that, thank you. I do know that there is some disconnect between those that are progressive and those that are not (this should NOT be read "young vs old"). The internet has widened that gap by providing a fluid communication medium for the progressive half.

I would hope that most of the contest board is made up of active competitors... I'm not sure how I could make a good decision based on "input" alone...without the framework of seeing the rules in action, seeing/living some of the outcomes, I'm not sure I'd be able to make a good assessment. In that vein I'll be attempting to fly some IMAC this season SOLEY to be better informed on the nuances of those rules. I made quite a few phone calls for information regarding the Scale Aerobatics proposals that would likely have been avoided had I been a competitor. So that needs to change.

The only other comment I'd have is that we (Contest Board) were selected because we've been "around" the competition a few years and have seen a variety of rules come and go, seen the good and bad of a few, and HOPEFULLY have a feel for what it takes to succeed both in and for the "sport". In that vein...I think we have to consider not ONLY the loudest voices we are hearing...but also what our experience tells us is best for the sport. Along that line I'm personally disappointed by the change in landing/takeoff scoring rules. I had many tell me that's what they wanted...so if I had simply 'voted the polls'...I would have supported this. Maybe I'm out of line in NOT voting that way...but on this issue I felt my "experience" in having to learn to do precision takeoff's and Landings...forced by the rules (or forfeit easy points!) tremendously influence EVERYTHING about "Pattern"...and I was unwilling to give in to that simply because many hate trying to learn to land. (And yes, I know
 that different "Field" conditions enter into this mix, but that's a different discussion)

Anyhow...I for one am VERY open to ongoing discussion...I think you'll find Verne is as well. I don't know the other contest board members personally...so I can't speak for them.

-Mark