A possible answer to lousy judging "Flash cards"

DPeckNSRCA at aol.com DPeckNSRCA at aol.com
Tue May 4 09:02:17 AKDT 2004

Ron,
     At the 1981Huntsville Masters, I had local club members standing behind
each judge/scribe with a huge score board, consisting of a "clock" of numbers
(0 - 10).  I used a paint stirring stick with a knob on the end for the
operator to set the "clock hand" on the number of the score the flier had just
flown.  The operator read the scribesl/judge score as he entered the number on the
score sheet, and quickly dialed up the score.  This entire setup was for
"crowd participation" interest only.  I still have the scoring boards and wonder if
the pattern community would like to have the spectators involved in the
scoring of the maneuver.  I must have fifteen boards stored in my warehouse and am
thinking of using at my local Huntsville contest in September.  1/2 points
could be marked for AMA patterns.

    Local publicity to bring in spectators to add glamor to the event might
attract more local club members to fly pattern and interest some spectators.  I
have always wanted to know each judges score of each jump performed at the
big televised Ice Skating events!  I wonder if any or the 1981 Master Fliers
even knew the public, and other competitors, were watching their  score for each
maneuver as they flew.

Don Peck