Swept vs. unswept landing gear

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon May 3 16:23:38 AKDT 2004

I don't believe it's sweep per se' that makes the plane stick to the ground.
I can't really think of engineering reasons why sweep in needed. But some guys
think they look kool

What I do with my moldings is to introduce some flexibility in the vertical
direction. The gear is designed to be stiff in torsion and moderately stiff in
the longitudinal direction (fuse axis).

The concept is old of course
.
Simply take a look under the car at the wishbone suspension that supports the
wheels. Same concept.

About 1/3 of the weight of my gear is in the Dave Brown 2 3/4" wheels, so the
gear is lighter than usual by some margin.

Matt K