Pitch gage (was Re: YS Engines)

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 12:18:38 AKST 2004

Tim,

Aside from patience, practice, the pitch gauge and some patience and
practice -

I use a good heat gun, a thick cotton towel or sock, and a large set of
channel lock pliers.  Basically, you slowly heat the prop blade near the hub
with the heat gun (heat evenly, and concentrate on the thicker areas of the
blade), and when the blade is hot enough, it will twist without "too much"
pressure.  For the 3 blade, I heat at Station 5 (of the Pitch gauge, which
is 2.5" from prop center) and then wrap the sock around the blade and hold
the prop at station 7 to apply the twist - I put the other 2 blades on my
leg (a block of foam on the bench would also work) and do the twisting bit
in my lap.  (For 2 bladers, I use 2 pair of pliers).  The sock is too keep
the teeth of the pliers from scarring the prop.  When the desired pitch is
achieved, I cool the prop in cold running water and move onto the next
blade.

The basics are pretty simple - but it does take some practice to get good at
using the gauge and a feel for how much to twist the prop.  Heating the prop
slowly (4-5 minutes before twisting) is better than heating it fast - you
want the prop warm on the surface and at the core (my IR gun says about 200
F) - then it will twist easier and have less memory.  Some of the props will
show some white coloration during heating, and some show the whitish
coloration after twisting.  If the prop is not evenly heated, it will tend
to wander - not good.  And when the prop is cooled, cool both sides evenly
or again, the pitch will wander.  It usually takes me 1 heating cycle, about
1 major twist, and a couple minor "tweaks" to get the pitch change I want,
then I cool the prop.  After I get all blades done, I re-check all blades.
On occasion, I do need to reheat a blade and tweak the pitch a bit.  I then
check the prop again the next day - and maybe 1 in 10 blades needs a small
adjustment - rarely more than .25" - which probably means the blade was not
thoroughly heated when the twist was initially made.

This same procedure works on the Bolly CF and FG props (and I believe Wayne
Powell verified that once in a prior thread).  And I know some who have
repitched the APCs by heating and then clamping in a jig with wedges equal
to the desired pitch.

For newbies to prop twisting, you might want to practice on little props
first - they are much easier to work with, and much cheaper too!!!

Dave