Trimming Help

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Tue Mar 30 10:08:30 AKST 2004

Paul
I am no aerodynamics expert, but I have learned some basic's over the years
that work for me.
1. The wing must have a positive angle of attack to create lift.
2. the stabilizer and elevators steer the pitch attitude of the airplane
resulting in more or less lift.
3. Balance can change the angle of attack which will change the pitch
attitude.
4. Aileron's up or down will change the pitch attitude .
5. Up or down thrust will change the pitch attitude.
Therefore:
A. Increasing the positive wing incidence will cause the airplane to climb,
which will require down trim to achieve level flight.
B. Likewise adding tail weight will cause the airplane to climb and require
down trim to achieve level flight.
C. Added weight does not alter the vertical down line BUT elevator trim added
to maintain level flight because of the added weight will effect the down
line. Tail weight will require down trim which will steer the airplane more to
the belly in a down line, and added nose weight will require up trim which will
steer the airplane to the canopy.
D. In the vertical up line elevator trim and the engine thrust line will
effect the vertical and/or yaw direction
All of the above will effect the knife edge flight of the model.
Combinations of adjustments to any or all of the above trim items done at the
same time will leave you confused and frustrated.
Most models will require some mixing to achieve near perfect lines in all
flight attitudes in order to minimize / eliminate control inputs by the pilot to
maintain a perfect course.
I have yet to see the perfect airplane should such an animal exist, but I
keep looking and building since I truly believe that nothing is impossible.
When trimming an airplane make a written log of every change no matter how
small so you don't have to start over when changes are not correct.
Buddy