Trimming Help

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Tue Mar 30 09:18:09 AKST 2004

Hi Bob,
They are measured relative to each other, but there are two other things to consider. The lesser of these is the thrustline, which will strogly affect the UPline. It can be adjusted, though. The biggie is the relative height of the stab above the wing. Picture an extreme example: you add 5 degrees of positive incidence to both the wing and stab; now the plane flies along tail-high, with its nose down like a huntin' dawg. It is now a different design ... some planes have the wing and stab almost in line, and others have the stab up in air that is less affected by the wing. Depending on stab size, CG, and tail length, different stab-over-wing heights work, and others are not quite right. That means they take lots of electronics to fix the knife edges, or have no sweet-spot where the verticals are straight.
You do realize that this opens up a large can of worms!
Hope this helps
    Dean P.