YS Engines

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 15:50:35 AKST 2004

Del is right on. The same could be said for retracts vs fixed gear. We
eventually got them working super easy, but many had experienced more problems with
retracts than with fixed gear.

One of the best and most successful Pattern pilots of all time, Hanno
Prettner, opted to fly and win with the simple looking, easier set-up, "Calypso" at
'91 World Championship (I think it was '91, in P'cola), vs. the much more
"sophisticated" and complex "Magic". Both were his designs for those folks new to
this sport
.

The Magic sported things like reversible pitch prop, flaps, tricycle retracts
and spoilers, with an inverted engine exhausting through the fuse top, and
exiting through the bottom of the fuse. It was an engineering feat and a half
for a pattern model.

In contrast, the Calypso sported a side exhaust, simple, sport style engine,
canted to around 8 o'clock, with the pipe exhausting through the fuse bottom,
and also had retracts but only two, plus a tail wheel. That was about as
sophisticated as it got. He opted for reliability that comes from simplicity. We
should learn from that lead.

Matt K