Nats Proposal

EHaury at aol.com EHaury at aol.com
Sat Mar 27 04:07:04 AKST 2004

Some things to think about as you advise your Dist VP's of your position
regarding the pending Nats proposal. Change is always resisted by someone and
generally I dislike change solely for the sake of change as much as anyone.

Please don't focus a dislike for the proposed changes on F3A and the Team
Selection Program. They are separate issues. Chip and Dave volunteered to CD the
Nats a long time before Chip was involved with the TS process. Chip's plan to
fly the F3A finals with F05/unknowns predates his TSP involvement. Essentially
the TSP should be transparent to the Nats.

Regarding the proposed changes. Consider that we work our Nats volunteer
horses very hard and there isn't a waiting list for the job. People like Betty
Stream, Tony Stillman, Ron Van Putte, Bob Noll, Jeff Hill have given a great deal
to ensure that the Nats is what it is today. Each made changes that were
resisted but proved to be for the best. Within the NSRCA structure, Chip and Dave
should have the same latitude. Also consider stepping to the plate and taking
on the job in the future if you believe that you can do it well.

As for the Team Selections. I put the program together for the last cycle and
was (am) convinced that a stand alone event in the year of the WC selects the
best Team and sends it to the WC best prepared. The feedback from
participants, both before and after is a close call between a stand alone event and a
Nats process. A stand alone event is expensive and the cost must be borne by the
participants. Program fee math is simple, divide the cost by the number of
participants and it comes to $300 - 500 per entrant. AMA strongly suggested that
the cost for the 2005 process be much lower. I realized that the only way was
to select the Team at the Nats. I also realized that it's a can of worms to
try and meet the expectations of both sets of competitors within the
requirements of NSRCA, AMA, and TSC. I decided to step aside and give someone with
convictions toward the Nats TS process the opportunity to do the job. None of the
TSC members were willing to take the job. The process at that point was to
obtain a (non-voting) Chairman from the competition community. Chip again stepped
to the plate and is the current TSC Chairman. I would prefer the Team Selection
be in the year of the WC. Chip has arguments for doing it this year. The TSC
approved the latter.

The Nats changes being proposed (and some that aren't) were being considered
before the TS issue came up. Other variations of the banquet have been tried.
Trophy presentations being separate for classes has been great for Int/Adv
(enjoying the fanfare at the banquet)  but lackluster for Mast/F3A (on the runway
after most have departed). It seems reasonable to present awards when the
Nats is over - not just each class. Then again - I like to get out of town as
soon as possible also! The Wed evening banquet is tough - a lot of folks are
working to get things ready for the finals, both competitors and staff. Maybe, in
the future, we should return to having a finals for all classes. Sure would
bring the scheduling viewpoints together.

My vote to approve the Nats proposal as submitted.

Earl Haury
NSRCA 191
AMA Dist VIII Team Selection Committee Representative