World Models

Rob Campbell rgc1701 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 22 14:57:19 AKST 2004

The Zen's and Tai Ji's are excellent airplanes.  I'm currently flying a Zen 90 with a YS 91 AC.  It flies smoothly and presents well.  The Zen 30 is probably a good flyer for a small plane, but I expect it will have issues in winds and not present as well as it's larger brothers.  The Zen II (140 size) is awesome.  Donny Wright won Masters class at the Nats this past year with one.  However, the $2,500 price tag is a bit steep for entry level.  That leaves the Zen 50, Zen 90 and Zen 120.  I've never seen a Zen 50 in competition.  I believe many pilots prefer the 120 and 90 sized.

I just came back from the Ocala contest and the Zen's (120 and 90) and the Tai Ji (60) that were there flew quite well in sportsman and intermediate.

The Zen's and Tai Ji's are great designs and they are very well built.  The wings come in one piece, so there is no risk of misalignment.  I made a few simple mods to my Zen to make it more to my liking (belly pan attachment, Dave Brown pushrod on elevator, converted to 2-56 pushrods and Hayes clevises, Du Bro pull-pull linkage on rudder, relocated fuel tank to the CG).  I would recommend the Zen 90, Zen 120, or the Tai Ji 60 to anyone contemplating entering pattern competition.  I would recommend the Zen 50 or the Tai Ji 40 as a sport to pattern transition airplane.  World Models Tai Ji's and Zens are an outstanding value.

Rob