Monokote help provided!

Ted Sander tedsander at comcast.net
Sun Mar 21 04:31:12 AKST 2004

 Hey Michael - just in time.  I was thinking of polluting the list with a
"Test" to see if I could post messages (haven't been able to for months!).
Now I can send a legit response!

The 21st Century iron is very good - excellent temp response, great shape on
the shoe for working in all the tight spots.  I frequently don't even need
to think about firing up my little Monokote trim iron.  The bad - I've found
that it just doesn't last.  I've had 3 burn up on me in the last 5 yrs, and
I'm not a very prolific builder (couple of three planes a year).  At some
point, the thermostat sticks on, the iron overheats, and then fails
completely - no heat again.  I still buy them - but it is the one electrical
item in my house that I NEVER leave plugged in when I'm not around, even for
potty breaks, etc..just can't be trusted!

Now, my old Monokote iron continues to work like a champ after almost 30
yrs.  Too bad it's so scratched that it's only use is in place of 80 grit!

Ted