Pattern Toolbox-ing - alternative

Rick Wallace rickwallace45 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 19:45:28 AKST 2004

The box on wheels is a great answer - here's a modular alternative that
seems to work -
After using a Sig Field Boss for a season (20# empty...) I found that esp
for contests, the fuel and the tools didn't really have to travel together.

So the fuel's separate  - a gallon jug w/ the hand crank pump hanging on it.

The field box is a 25-year-old -Goldberg HandiTote. No fuel mounted to it
-(which is nice for burning different fuels for different planes /
conditions) Rubber banded onto the box's fuel shelf are several little servo
boxes of assembly parts and emergency stuff (One box has the endremoved and
the tach slips in there.)... and a small memo pad that's the flight log for
the current plane. No 12 volt battery since the glo driver and starter are
self powered.  Glo Driver and ESV live on the flight box transmitter
ledge...
This thing might not be 'pattern' since it's old (and shows it), there's
stuff exposed, and there's not a bit of carbon fiber or Kevlar in it (except
what's drifted to the bottom of the drawer), but it holds all the tools and
immediate spares I need at the flight line, whether practicing or at a
contest. ... and the three parts of the set up- fuel, flight box,
transmitter case -- load easy and are easy to carry to the flight line / pit
area.

-- and of course in the back of the van is the heavy duty support stuff that
needs to be in arm's reach but doesn't come out often - deflection
'gadgets', props, more spares, chairs, EZ-Up, cooler, etc.

Just another approach.

-Rick

# discussion-request at nsrca.org