OOPS!

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 08:39:47 AKST 2004

I witnessed the tail almost depart on a 40% FC Extra during an IMAC
freestyle last season.  We began to notice that the tail wasn't keeping up
with the rest of the model as the pilot put it through a series of reversing
rolls & snap rolls.  About the time that I and the other 3 judges realized
there was a problem and not just an illusion, so did the pilot and quickly
slowed it up and landed safely.   Not sure if there was previous damage that
contributed to the failure or not, but the airplane was repaired
successfully after the incident. As has already been stated, a good number
of these FC models have logged a great many hours without incident, but it
may illustrate that the care and upkeep of them requires close attention for
areas subject to in flight fatique or damage during handling/transportation.

Ed

# discussion-request at nsrca.org