Lithium Ion Cells

Poole, Mark mpoole at harris.com
Mon Mar 15 06:51:12 AKST 2004

Hello Everyone,

I recently wanted to move to the new lithium-ion technology and found that I
could save a HUGE amount of money by getting the cells in bulk.  I bought a
batch of 200 (the minimum order), kept 30 for myself and quickly sold the
remaining to guys in the IMAC/Giant Scale community.  I've received requests for
another 143 so I'm planning to place a second order for another 200 if I get
requests for the remaining 57.

These are the cyllindrical LG Chem 18650SA, 2200mah, 3.7V cells being used by
other companies in their Lithium-Ion packs.  They are easily soldered together
to make 2200mah or 4400mah 7.4V or 11.1V packs. They don't come with solder tabs
and aren't needed because the ends are easily soldered.  I just used 1" lengths
of 16 guage stranded wire with 1/4" stripped from each end to join the cells.
NOTE: YOU MUST USE A LITHIUM CHARGER AND REGULATOR for these packs.

The cells are $6.00 each shipped anywhere in the US if you order 10 or more.
The price is $6.50 each shipped for quantities less than 10.  If you compare
prices you'll see that this is a great deal.  Others are selling these same
cells between $13 and $37 each.  It takes two cells to make a 7.4, 2200mah pack,
and four cells to make a 7.4V, 4400mah pack. If interested, just send me an
email indicating how many you want and your mailing address.  When the total
requested hits 200 I'll place the order and let you know to go ahead and send a
check or money order.  I'll ship the cells as soon as they arrive, which last
time was about five days later.

So, why move to these cells?  Here were MY reasons, in order of importance:

- Charge today, fly three weeks (or more) from now and the packs are still fully
charged
- Regulated voltage to the servos.  With the use of regulators you get the same
voltage (and performance) from the packs whether its your first or tenth flight
of the day.
- Weight savings.  On a 40% airframe the savings is around 7-8 ounces.  Not
much, really, but every bit counts.
- More capacity for the weight.  Depending on your current configuration you'll
most likely save weight AND get more flights before needing to recharge.

Chargers?  After doing some research I ended up buying the Fromeco four-port
charger at www.fromeco.org, and regulators through Troy Built Models at
www.troybuiltmodels.com  I have no sponsorship or affiliation with either.

I can give references if you're concerned about my integrity, there were 13
individuals that participated in the first order of 200 and all have been
delivered.  My goal in this effort was to get these cells at a great price for
me and others that wanted them.  Ordering in bulk and making our own packs was
the way to go.

Don't hesistate to ask if you have any questions.

thanks,

Mark Poole
# discussion-request at nsrca.org