Hi Visibility color schemes

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Mar 4 10:44:38 AKST 2004

Bob-I always thought your plane was easy to see for me because it looks
like a Texas flag!

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

Bob Kane <getterflash at yahoo.com>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
03/04/2004 01:33 PM
Please respond to discussion

        To:     discussion at nsrca.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Hi Visibility color schemes

Look at the picture gallery on the NSRCA website for a good sample of
schemes. You will see a common theme of contrasting colors. Basicly you
need to have at least two strongly contrasting colors on the fuse and
wings so you can see them clearly at a distance. I don't think the shape
of the pattern is all that important, as long as there is enough of each
color to be visible. You can be creative. My El Nino scheme has worked
well for me, but I did recently add blue to the underside of the wingtips
so I could see their position. The original white would blend into the sky
in hazy/ low light conditions. Make sure one of the colors is light
(white, yellow, silver, light gold) and one is dark (black, blue, red).
Black and red contrast well up close under good light, but at a distance
they will just look dark. Likewise yellow and white contrast well up
close, but at a distance or under low light will look like one color.

The NSRCA Picture gallery can be found at www.nsrca.org/galleryA.htm

"White, Chris" <chris at ssd.fsi.com> wrote:
Hi,
I'm finishing a Temptation and have some scheme layouts made up, but am
re-thinking the issue.  Is there anyone out there who has any knowledge in
their data banks which would indicate what colors and or scheme breakout
patterns which are more readily visible to the human eye against any given
background color? (blue or gray sky)
I think one of the biggest problems I have as a 30 year sport pilot
converting to pattern is the ability to fly the airplane far enough out to
remain in the box, yet still be able to see the airplane well enough to
determine wings level or bank angle. (Goes against everything in me to fly
150 yards out!!!)
Any help you can provide is appreciated....
thanks,
Chris White
(Tulsa)

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you're looking for faster.