May K-Factor

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 27 14:50:45 AKDT 2004

Perhaps we are trying to be too slick.

I don't know how many copies that annual cost of $39,600 covers but if the
number is 1000, then the cost is $39.60 per year per client. 39.60/12 =
$3.30 per issue. Subtract $0.80 for US postage and the per issue cost comes
to $2.50. The April Issue had 28 pages so the per page cost was $2.50/28 =
0.0892..., rounds up to 9 cents a page.
IF you print that at Office Depot rates in 100's quantities, take a nickle
for printing. That leaves 4 cents each to assemble, put a label on it and
get it in a mail box.

I do a couple hundred newsletters a month of 10 pages each and it looks to
me like these guys are doing alright except for the mailing problem. I would
expect them to make their money by being more efficient with their volume of
operation.

HOWEVER, the total cost for US First Class Postage is $0.80 for 3 ounces,
and the April K-Factor weighed 2.5 ounces. If the bulk mailing was free,
First Class should only raise the costs $0.80 per issue, $9.60 per year, or
$9,600 per year. After doing the arithmetic I can see the wisdom of NOT
going to the additional expense of First Class Postage.

On the other hand, it is hard for me to see why the production should be so
late. If the newsletter is published on schedule with a real deadline on the
net the news and advertising will be current. My club & church newsletters
go on time with whatever I have at the deadline. If it ain't on time, it is
not news, it is history.

I have heard the argument that the internet copy detracts from membership
because it is way too easy to share a copy. That is proably true, but if we
are losing a little on each legitimate copy why would we want sell more?

The internet provides us with a means to produce a timely newsletter. There
are some who choose not to participate in the electronic copy. At this time
we are allowing those individuals to assure we all have equally poor news
delivery.

I think it important to rethink the newsletter and its role in our
organization. It is not a revenue generator.

As Will Rogers said: "You have a choice, you can deal with things as they
are or you can deal with them as they are not."

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US