Drill press, scroll saw, & other power tools recommendation

John Gausby humptybumpty at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 25 09:05:48 AKDT 2004

To me , a nicely equipt model shop should have the following. I mostly
build from plans.  If i had to do it again , i would also purchase in this
order:

varible speed drill w/cord (the cordless ones seem balky and heavy)
Dremel varible speed rotory tool w/ selected bits , sanding drums etc,.
(right angle attachment is nice but i rarely use it)
scroll saw
shop vac
drill press
air compressor
band saw
disc sander
table saw (the microlux does look very nice for modeling)

I don't feel it is necessary to spend a fortune for model work. I do like
to stay with products that have attainable parts and attachments.
ie...Delta , Craftsman , Ryobi etc etc. The disc sander is really nice to
have , but the scroll saw and drill press are first buys IMHO.

A word of caution on the drill press. Before you buy....wheel the lever up
and down with your right hand and grasp the chuck with your left and move
the chuck from side to side to see how much play it has. The tighter it is
, the more accurate it is. You will be surprised at how many drill presses
have excessive play in the drill chuck shaft.

John Gausby      Richmond , Va