Drill press, scroll saw, & other power tools recommendation

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 04:39:53 AKDT 2004

Ihncheol

I generally agree with Ken, especially regarding the disc sander. Harbor
Freight has some good (and bad) values in tools, it's hard to tell without
checking the stuff out at one of their outlet stores. They do have a large
disc sander that's a good value. Be aware that a disc sander is an extremely
good dust generator and some sort of dust collection is desired.

I differ from Ken in that I use a band saw for the majority of cuts, but a
scroll saw is necessary for internal and intricate work.

Considering the good value of quality tools and the duration of ownership, I
suggest that spending a little more is economical.

Most bench model drill presses will be OK for model work, look for a Jacobs
chuck and easily adjustable speed. The Delta 10" bench model is good, has a
variable speed 500 - 3100 rpm (that I use a lot), and comes with a light
($160).

Three items of importance for a bandsaw are the depth / height of cut and
max blade width. A 10" depth is OK (bigger better), with at least 6" height,
and 1/2" blade width (wide blades make straight cuts easy). Again, a Delta
10" (may be hard to find) or 12" is good ($300+).

I have a Craftsman basic scroll saw and it is minimum. If I used it more I
would look for something better. Again, throat depth / height are important.
Ease of changing blades, blade availability, table tilt range / directions
are considerations. Most will have a dust "blower" to keep cut lines
visible.

Earl