Drill press, scroll saw, & other power tools recommendation

Kenneth Blackwell blackwellk at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 25 02:43:39 AKDT 2004

Ihncheol,

My most used power tools are as follows, Dremel, light cordless drill,
jigsaw, 12" disk sander, table top drill press, and shop vac. I
occasionally use 1" belt sander, bench grinder, and bandsaw.

I highly recommend the 12" disk sander for what we do in model
building....if you can find one. I also have a small belt sander/disk
combo. The small disk isn't much good, but the 1" wide belt is good for a
few things.

Jigsaw or Scroll saw is imperative...especially if you are scratch
building, making formers and such. I use the bandsaw on rare occasions, but
wouldn't place it as a high priority tool for model building.

For many non-precision drilling I just use the cordless drill. However, for
things that you want aligned, the drill press is a must. As accessory to
drilling I have found that a numbered drill set and vernier calipers for
measuring odd diameters to be invaluable. I use these constantly.

With my Dremel tool, I use a variety of cutter, grinders, and the cutoff
wheel is indispensable. The router attachment is great for milling slots in
foam etc.

I have found "sheet rock" insert bags for my Shop Vac work best without
clogging up and are easy to dump without making a mess. They are sort of
expensive 4 to 5 dollars per bag but well worth it. These are made for Shop
Vac brand....I don't know about others....and get mine at Lowes.

I don't know about power tool sources....I've had my stuff since the dark
ages. I would be careful about buying overly cheap stuff, especially Harbor
Freight....unless you know someone who has had experience with the
particular item.

Cheers,

Ken Blackwell