Question on wing tube lengths

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Mon Jun 21 20:31:50 AKDT 2004

Wow! that's really short.  I guess you must be using some kind of spar arrangement to spread the load at the end of the tube?  I am stuck with the 3/4" wide carbon fiber cloth spars on top and bottom in front of and behind the wing tube because this experimental wing has already been sheeted.  I could start from scratch but that would make this experiment too time consuming and its already interrupting the building of my Symphony.

I've now gotten recommendations at both ends of the spectrum so I've decided to compromise and trim a bit from both ends.  This leaves the tube at 9" into each wing, which still seems pretty safe.  Especially considering Mike that only uses 6".

Man, if 6" is all you need, then we could all be saving some weight here.

--Lance