Question on wing tube lengths

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Sun Jun 20 20:18:14 AKDT 2004

Here's a question for anyone that's built a few planes from different manufacturers.  How much wing tube is the optimum to have sticking into each wing?
   We cut our wings for 9.75" of tube in each wing but that's only because that's the length so that the false rib can support the gear plate.  What if the tube only went into the wing 8"....is that enough to stabilize it?

I'm thinking of another (of my many) experiments by clipping the wings of an Aries by removing the root.  The wings I have already have a wing tube mounted so I'd be shortening the amount of wing tube that goes into the wing.

Thanks,
--Lance