Whoopee

Kenneth Blackwell blackwellk at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 18 03:23:43 AKDT 2004

As I feel sure that Lance knows, the water condensation on the outside of the carb body is caused by the carburetor venturi. When you pass air through a venturi it gets cooler causing the carb body temperature to drop, like a little refrigerator. Then, if the outside of the carb body is below the outside air dewpoint condensation will form on the outside of the carb body.

Full scale light airplanes with carburetors have a heater to warm up the air going into the carb on those cool wet days....to prevent internal carb icing.

We here in the south often see days when the air is thick with moisture. So, we also see moisture on the outside of the carb when running it on the ground.  Out west where the air is extremely dry, you won't see this moisture on the outside of the carb.

Now, I don't know what this has to do with idle speed, but it could be that the extra moisture in the air going into the carb is part of the problem. Ram air going into the carb in flight has a slightly higher temp than that on the ground without RAM effect...but this difference is probably very very small.

Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,

Ken Blackwell