Minto 170

Hotrod34a at aol.com Hotrod34a at aol.com
Sun Jun 13 19:45:16 AKDT 2004

    You know, I don't usually say to much and keep my mouth shut most of the
time on this list, but it's time someone spoke up on this issue.  In the last
several months there has been several thousand posts on this discussion group
about 2 strokes, adjusting pipe length and tuning 2 strokes, bearing issues,
sealed vs not, stainless vs not, after market vs standard factory bearings,
gee, I got 200 flights on my stainless bearings vs 30 flights on the factory
bearings, after run oil for 2 strokes, whether to use it or not, whether to run
them dry after flying or not, dual plug heads vs single plug heads, and so on....
    In the last several months I have only seen less that a dozen posts about
a YS engine, and most of those were how to type questions, not problem
issues.  Last week there was one post about which port to hook up the return fuel
line to, and Don Ramsey's problem with his YS.  How do you figure that you could
not get a word in edgewise?????  I guess that when some folks start flying 2
strokes, they forget how to count........As some would say....flame suit
on.......Larry.....

Brian,
Interesting ying and yang here on engines.  2 stroke tuning problems don't
arise that often, and last week you couldn't get a word in edgewise for all the
YS blues!!

it's not common that the midrange would be lean, especially on the full
Mintor setup.  I haven't seen that.  The pipe is an essential part of balancing the
mixture in a 2 stroke and I know the Mintor pipe produces an even mixture,
even if not top power.  Please check the engine cooling.  This can significantly
affect performance.  Fly with the cowl off for comparison.  If there's a
difference, then maybe you need more exit area, or another hole in the bottom of
the chin cowl behind the engine.
    If the engine is lean in midrange it will get very hot in the air and
this is not good.  I've seen one engine where the owner decreased teh pump
pressure so much that it went lean in midrange and he nearly burned it up.  Are you
still at the factory pump setting?  If you've decreased the pump pressure,
then increase it again.  If you are flying 10%, then increase to 15%.  Some
engines of early vintage prefer a bit more nitro.  Another way to richen the
midrange is to shorten the header.  This is not my first suggestion though, because
the factory setup works fine, however I've experimented with doing this and
found that the 170 will gain a lot more power on a slightly shorter pipe at the
expense of a richer midrange.  Normally, this is a bad thing.
   I have had good luck with setting everything a slight bit rich on the
ground.  This is not because I'm expecting it to lean out in the air, but because
I think it helps the engine slow down faster and it doesnt' spool up on
downlines.

--Lance