CA

Amir Neshati amirneshati at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 10 20:35:39 AKDT 2004

Hi Bill and all,

I cut the hinge slot about 1/4" wider than the hinge, which allows for alignment and
the CA to get in from the sides too........Now, I've taken some 1/4" thick balsa test
pieces and hinged away with the Radio South  CA hinges...

I used the following methods and they all worked:

(keep in mind all slots were 1/4" wider than the hinge)

1. Used a scalpel at  .011 thick to cut some slots. Left some slots
alone and poked a small hole in the middle and sides of the others.

2. Used an X-Acto blade at .015 thick to cut some slots....did the same
with these slots as the first set...

Applied 2 drops of CA on one side and folded back slightly and applied
2 more drops.....counted to 10 (which doesn't really give enough time
for the strongest adhesion) and yanked with a pair of pliers....Broke the
wood with a lot of wood attached to the hinges. Again, that's only after a 10
second wait after applying the CA.......Based on my tests, as long as the slots
are slightly wider than the hinge, things should be fine.

I noticed anything past a couple of drops on each side just drips out and away.
So that's four drops per hinge half, or 8 drops per hinge (am I getting carried away
here?....If it makes you feel better, go 12 drops per hinge, but that's 50% more
weight....I too leave a little bare wood to enjoy the wicking action. I glue the hinges
to the control surface first.

These hinges are so easy to install that an extra one or two per surface is
easy to do.....I try to get a hinge near each control horn and when possible,
one on each side of the horn (such as the ailerons) to cut the flexing down.

I've used these hinges on  a 50 lbs. plane's ailerons and flaps....It was an ugly,
heavy and fast landing piece of ---- too.......(not my design :-)

Amir