Cool Power

gene.maurice at comcast.net gene.maurice at comcast.net
Thu Jun 10 08:06:46 AKDT 2004

I have been using sealed SS bearings in a couple of OS 160's with great success. The first engine went through open carbon steel bearings in less than 30 flights (2 sets). Information that I got from a bearing supplier, is that the grease used in the bearings is rated for the temperature rating of the bearing. Generally speaking, carbon steel is rated at about 250 deg. F and SS is about 350 deg. F. So, in addition to getting the corrosion resistance, SS handles a greater heat range.

The first 160 has approx. 200 - 250 flights and over a year on the sealed SS bearings and they are still smooth and tight. On the second motor I changed the stock bearings out for the sealed SS right after breaking the engine in. It now has about 120 flights in about 7 months.

Sealed bearings are designed to be "water tight" and the grease should not "wash" out.  The seals will eventually wear down and allow fuel to enter the bearing but considering that the oil in the fuel should actually be lubricating the bearing to seal contact point I would imagine this break down will take some time.

--
Gene Maurice
AMA 3408 NSRCA 877
gene.maurice at comcast.net