what is a "pattern" plane?

Steven maxwell patternrules at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 7 18:15:56 AKDT 2004

 Looks like someone in that area needs to go to that field and show them the real difference.

Terry Terrenoire <amad2terry at juno.com> wrote:Last night I had a disturbing conversation with a gentleman who called me
from MD. He has an old Cox plane he wants to sell, and contacted me thru
the VR/CS.
During our conversation I commented that my first love in flying was the
pattern planes. He proceeded to tell me that one of his club members had
one and it nearly cost the club it's field. When I asked why, he said
that it was because it was so loud!!!

I was dumbfounded!

I explained how quiet my planes are, and that we were the first SIG to
require quieter planes. While probing to get details of the "pattern"
plane, I FINALLY got to the description of a giant scale ship, with a big
gas burner in front. This guy's comment was "well, anything that flys
maneuvers and stunts is a "pattern" ship.

So, here we are, getting tared with the IMAC brush.

There has been a lot of discussion on the subject of perception. How are
perceived as "elitists"? How do we get a bad rap for being too loud? This
might be the answer. How many neophytes have seen one of these big
planes, and been told that it is a pattern ship by one of the "older"
members who may not have ever seen a true pattern ship?

It all goes back to education, and we just are not reaching the average
sport flyer to give him this education.

By describing my plane, engine, muffler (he referred to it as a "can"),
prop, and fuel, I was able to get him to see the difference and to
acknowledge that the plane his fellow club member had was indeed NOT a
pattern ship, but more likely an IMAC or IMAA ship.

Terry T.

Steve Maxwell