Jetero Pattern Contest Results -- A Great Event with 41 Contestants

Ron rsbxon at ev1.net
Sat Jun 5 15:49:42 AKDT 2004

The 3rd Annual Jetero Pattern Classic on June 05-06, 2004 in Houston Texas is now history and proved to be a great success. We had hoped for 20 contestants, and would have been wildly happy to have 30. We ended up with 41 contestants !!!!! Wow what an achievement !!! We had contestants from all over Texas and Louisiana - a major regional event.   Pattern is alive and well in the Southwest area.

The event got off to a wild start on Friday night with 12 flyers arriving early for practice. Things were going well until the field was struck with a world class lightening and rain storm. Thankfully things calmed down over night and Saturday and Sunday gave us partly cloudy skies and low winds - perfect flying weather.

The mix of flyers was pretty interesting. We had flyers in the 70+ years flying in FAI and as young as 9 years old in Sportsman. Probably the coolest thing was to see the father - son team of Martin and Carlos Stohr from Houston. Both flew in the Sportsman class and dad ended up in 2nd place. Young Carlos proved to be an excellent flyer in his own right and put in some very credible flights and after-the-contest flight demos with a 3D fun flyer. Carlos represents ther future for pattern.   We awarded trophies through 5th place in Sportsman in order to attract new flyers.   Apparently this strategy worked.

The Jetero Club received good reviews from the contestants on the field as being "best flying site we have ever seen", The Jetero Club is blessed by having a beautiful grass runway with no trees or obstructions . The field has running water, flushing toilets, and electricity so that many of the amenities of home can be experienced (refrigerators, full kitchen, electric fans and lighting). This makes life bearable for the spouses, many of whom attended the event.

All classes were well represented with 10 in Sportsman, 10 in Intermediate, 9 in Advanced, 6 in Masters, and 6 in FAI for a total of 41. Results of the contest are as follows:

Sportsman (5 Trophies awarded)

1st Chuck Hochhalter

2nd Martin Stohr

3rd Jerry Wilson

4th John Forestieri

5th Paul Horan

Intermediate

1st Keith Black

2nd Brian Clemmons

3rd Ken Nesteroff

1st Stephen Byrd

2nd Wayne Galligan

3rd Larry Mercer

Masters

1st Watson

2nd Jim Thompson

3rd Don Ramsey

FAI

1st Bryan Hebert

2nd Paul Villarubia

3rd Earl Haury

There were some particularly interesting battles for the top positions. FAI had 3 different leaders in the 5 rounds, and the contest wasn't decided until the last round. In the other classes the 1st place finishers won 4 or 5 of all 5 rounds and ended up with perfect 4000 scores. There was a good mix of airplane designs represented including PL products, Aeroslave, Piedmont, Executive Airplanes, along with many scratchbuilt designs. Many sportsman flyers chose ARFs that performed well.

As the CD I want to thank all the club members for supporting this pattern event by the exceptional work that got us ready. the list of people is long. I am reminded that it requires huge dedication to put on a quality event and make 41 people happy. I am now ready for a nervous breakdown.

Ron Barr

Contest Director

NSRCA 249

AMA 6507