wing tube sockets

wgalligan wgalligan at cnbcom.net
Sat Jul 31 20:05:13 AKDT 2004

I have been doing that very thing on some wings I am sheeting for some
other people.   The core is bored in a diameter that will fit a phenolic
tube which is thicker then a fiberglass tube that is used with the c.f.
tubes.  I use urethane (Elmers Ultimate) glue when gluing the sockets
in.  I set the tubes and false rib and use a hypodermic syringe (the
hobby type) and inject the glue in through the core to the tube I then
twist or turn the socket in the core to get the glue to flow around the
whole tube.  The urethane glue will expand to fill any voids or
looseness that you may experience.  **One important thing to remember
when doing this.**  Install the tube in the socket of both wings and
weight the cores down to ensure the tube and socket is true to each side
being very careful not to get any glue on the tube or else you have a
one piece wing set.
I have also found that when spreading urethane on the sheets that if I
use a small cheap foam roller it will even out the glue and actually
raise the glue by making it foam a little.  I guess the foam roller adds
little air pockets in the glue and makes it rise some what increasing
the area thickness of the glue on the sheets and insuring a good bond. I
do a light mist of water over the cores and the moisture really makes
the stuff work. I experienced a savings of about .5oz per wing panel
with this method.  It takes about 5.5-6 fluid oz. to do wings, stab and
rudder. Some of it is sucked up in the foam roller   I can’t ever see
using epoxy again after using this stuff to sheet with.  GREAT STUFF

one part no mixing, expands while curing, less expensive per
application.

Wayne Galligan