Earl's excellent observations

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 05:53:46 AKDT 2004

 Earl your point about agreeing on the stupidity of a rule is a valid one.Common sense must apply here. The important part to that is comunication. Like at the pilots meetings before the contest starts. The dumb rules should be discussed to aviod any problems. How can a description on a manuever as simple as a landing be confusing? I think the KISS system needs to apply here. Mike

Earl Haury <ehaury at houston.rr.com> wrote:The rules state that the turn to final should begin "approximately over the downwind marker". The airplane will  then be out of the box until near touchdown.

So a pilot flying at 160m must turn in (or make a tight 15m turn out) 180 degrees to stay within the specified distance. He/she must then let the airplane somehow meander in or out so that it can begin the turn to final near the 150m box pole. Oh - add the drift in an incoming wind for the spin in P-05 - fly the exiting roll after the required line between the roll and the 1/4 loop - put a line after the roll, and turn on final before the box line!

Curious as to how this description is written - what were they thinking? For a process originally intended to prevent hot-dogging it sure has gotten specific. Then with a 0 or 10 choice no less. This thing is so dumb that all pilots should agree to ignore it and take the zero (no effect on competition outcome) until this nonsense is fixed.

Earl