F3A Finals, Judges View

george kennie geobet at gis.net
Wed Jul 28 10:36:23 AKDT 2004

Earl,
Thanks very much for the K #'s. They changed my final results radically.
I'm not all that familiar with the scoring procedure for FAI, but what I
did was to score each round individually and then normalize and then
take each pilot's normalized score from each round and add them together
which gave me a relative value for the total number of rounds flown.
Jason still came out the winner, but my numbers indicated Sean ahead of
everyone else. That really floored me because during the action my
feeling was that he would probably end up around 5th. My gut feeling
definitely does not reflect the numbers that I myself recorded.Scary!
Another reflection regarding the recording of scores on a separate piece
of paper by the judge. At one point I was asked to judge Masters finals
and was told that I would be required to supply the chief judge with my
personal numbers, so I proceeded to site 3 to practice on Wed P.M.  As I
would look down to record my number for the maneuver currently being
evaluated I found that by the time I looked back up there were times
when the aircraft was already half way up the vertical line and part way
through a rolling element. I would miss the radius, with it's associated
corrections for radius and heading and the length of  the vertical line
and the rotational errors in the first point of the rolling element so
that some of the time I was guessing.I quickly became aware that if I
recorded the numbers without looking down at my paper that my column was
snaky and erratically spaced.I had been informed by the chief judge that
he would require this sheet from me and I felt embarrassed that I would
be submitting a messy scribble sheet to be used as a proof form. At the
time I was practicing, there was an active panel in operation so I
decided to check out how they were managing this problem so I sneaked up
behind one of the judges between rounds and peeked over his shoulder to
see how he had formatted his sheet and what I saw was a column down the
left hand side of the page with a number from one to 23 on every line.
Very neat. So I said to  myself, "how the heck is he getting his numbers
down exactly opposite the maneuver number" so I decided to observe his
methodology. When the next flight commenced I witnessed a human being
experiencing the same problems that I had experienced. Between some
maneuvers there was sufficient time to record and return the gaze to the
flight path of the model in time to judge the entry line but there were
times when this judge did not see the first quarter of the maneuver and
yet a score was rendered.
I'm not sure that we've arrived at a good solution to the problem of
scribing errors yet.
Anyway, thanks for helping me out.
Georgie