F3A Finals, Judges View

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Tue Jul 27 03:49:22 AKDT 2004

Gray

Yes. there were some poor stall turns and spin entries, and a spiral dive. The wind helped stall turns for the most part - reducing the rotational axis. Interestingly, smoke or lack thereof, mono or bipe, presented no issues that I'm aware of. Probably because of focus on track and overall observation of geometry.

Don makes a very good point regarding managing the wind. Some make track "corrections" after damage is suffered and the best manage attitude to ensure proper track throughout. I suspect that some folks aren't convinced that the average judge is really judging track - but just observing attitude, so they are loathe to fly the attitudes necessary to manage the wind. I see track deviations as pretty obvious (and downgrade).

Please understand also, that while there were errors made - much of the flying was exceptional. While everyone got beat on by the wind at some point and flew maneuvers that generated low numbers, they also flew some very good maneuvers that resulted in deservedly high numbers.

Congratulations to all

Earl