Webra 1.45 problem too

David Wartel d.wartel at comcast.net
Sat Jul 24 16:51:15 AKDT 2004

Webra 1.45 problemMy problem is a little different:
Set-up: OS F plug, Grieve pipe (set to length on Piedmont site), Powermaster 15%, 16x10 APC prop. Have about 1.5 - 2 gallons of fuel through it so far, so it's still breaking in. Regular, not MC, carb.

After a lot of fiddling, I got the engine running very well on the ground. It would idle well and transition instantly after idling for 20-30 seconds. At takeoff the engine would surge and threaten to quit. Since the engine did this in a nose-up attitude, we ran it up to full throttle on the ground and held the nose up. The engine quit instantly.

I detached the fuel line to the carb and put the starter to it and fuel came out in irregular spurts. I don't know how the fuel should be coming out, like this or in a steady stream??

The few times I did get the plane to fly, the engine would bog down in about the 3rd quarter of the outside loop and nearly quit.

The fuel lines have been checked. The clunk is 1/4-1/2 inch from the back of  the tank. I have a brass tube installed in the pickup line so it can't fold forward.

I plan to disassemble the pump and check for debris, but would very much welcome any other suggestions.

Thank you, Dave