Address

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Sat Jul 24 06:02:40 AKDT 2004

Thanks Anthony. It's been a looooong tough week. Andrew and I both had to judge on Wednesday plus we both flew. Then it was off to AMA headquarters to get Andrew's Unknown schedules, a process that took until 9:00 pm to complete. We worked on those in the hotel until about 1:30 am before calling it a night. Back up at 5:30 to head out to our respective Finals sites with every intention of calling for each other. District 4 came thru huge on that with spotters equipped with walki-talkies at each site keeping track of flight orders so we wouldn't miss our turn to fly. At one point, Mike Pavlock was waiting in front of the FAI site with vehicle running while Andrew flew and I called. As soon as he landed, we handed off his equipment to our FAI site D4 helpers and jumped into Mike's car. He raced us over to the Master's Finals site with the pilot preceding me already halfway thru his schedule. We jumped out, took a breath, and it was my turn to fly. Never quite settled in on that one but we'd have never pulled it off without everyone's help. Of course, we had backup callers available if needed, but both felt more comfortable with doing it the way we've been practicing every day for the last 3 weeks. It was especially important to me since I was flying at "Spaghetti Junction" (X runway - left side) where I can never find a straight reference line to the runway and have to rely on my caller to tell me whether I'm coming in or going out so I can adjust. Anyway, the whole process probably sounds kinda nerve-wracking but it was sorta calming for me. I had no way of knowing how anybody else in my Finals class was doing so all I had to do was go up and try to put in my best flight. Best part of all was no hand shaking in the Finals which I was concerned about since I've never gotten there before. All in all, I was pretty calm and had no time to just sit there and worry about it.

Verne