Weight Limit

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Mon Jul 12 06:54:53 AKDT 2004

--On Monday, July 12, 2004 2:43 PM +0000 vicenterc at comcast.net wrote:

> Thanks Marty, I think that clarifies all my questions.  In conclusion,
> F3A could go easily over 5 Kg. limit in the future if approved.

That is my impression, too.

They change rules all the time for different classes.

For example, open record engines are limited to a displacement
of 10 cc.  There was a time (before my time) when F3A (RC
aerobatics) had a hodgepodge rule limiting 2-strokes to
10 cc and allowing 4-strokes 20 cc.  That rule has changed
for F3A.  It had no impact on the open record displacement
rule.  Maynard Hill flew a highly modified 10 cc OS 4-stroke for the
trans-Atlantic flight.

It is entirely a political question whether the 5 kg / 2 m rules
will change for F3A.  Nothing in their constitution nor in the
precedents prevents them from making such a change.

							Marty  #2874