Weight Limit

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Mon Jul 12 06:15:21 AKDT 2004

--On Monday, July 12, 2004 1:50 PM +0000 vicenterc at comcast.net wrote:

> I was trying to infer "looks like to be able to compete or break records with
> model airplanes the weight limit has to be below 5 kg. or 11 pounds".
> Is this the only agreement between FAI and AMA?

No.  For example, the FAI sets the 2-meter box for F3A (pattern) competition.

> There is another interpretation that I think is for insurance.
> The model can no be more than 55 lbs. to be able to get insurance.

This corresponds to the FIA limit of 25 kg "unless otherwise specified."

> However, we can not use a model that is more than 11 lbs to compete
> or break records.

Right.  Open records have one rule (wet); F3a has a different rule (dry).

> ... The question now is: What is the limit
> for AMA scale models?

55 lb. unless a special waiver is granted (with inspections) for a
heavier model.  I think the limit for the waiver is 70 lb.

> What about FAI scale?

It falls under the 25 kg rule.  Class F4C.

> What about other events like racing?

That's Section 4, Volume F3D.  Short answer:
2.2 kg to 3.0 kg (minimum to maximum).  They've
got lots of other rules to cope with, too.

					Marty #2359