YS 140 FZ to L Conversion Help Needed

Ed White edvwhite at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 10 20:48:52 AKDT 2004

Folks,

I need some advice.  I've converted my YS 140 FZ to an
L.  New crank, crank ring, L throttle barrel and new
throttle barrel seal.  Great increase in power, but
can't get it to idle worth a damn.  I either fly with
a very high idle or it quits in the air after its been
at idle.  On the ground I have to either set a very
high idle (>3000 rpm) or it just looses rpm until it
dies.  In the air if it doesn't have the very high
idle it quits after any maneuver that needs it to idle
on a long downline.  It continues to idle but quits
when I increase throttle.

Here are some of the particulars:  OS F plug, Magnum 1
and 1.5 fuel (acts the same with both fuels), 17-10N
prop

When this engine was an FZ it ran and idled
beautifully in this same plane (same tank, same fuel
lines, same throttle servo).  Just was a little shy on
power for the Masters sequence.

Things I've tried:

low speed need settings from 1 to 2 turns (lots of
settings in between)
new glow plug
removed the regulator ballast
put in a new piston ring
drilled holes in the piston
new diaphragm

None of the above made any difference I could tell.
Have torn it down far enough to replace the piston
ring and reassembled.  Found nothing out of place.

Aside from buy another engine, I'd appreciate any
suggestions.

Thanks,

Ed

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail