Another "Desperation" Tip

Pam&Richard Strickland pamrich47 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 10 08:27:00 AKDT 2004

I've had an old--I mean OLD--small tailwheel that's been floating around my
toolbox and your fix reminded me of just how many times that little sucker
has saved a flying session or contest for myself or someone else.  What's
amazing as I think about it, is it always came back!  We've always managed
to find a piece of wire or some method to make it work.  Saved a session
just a couple of weeks ago.
        RS

>From: "Bob Pastorello" <rcaerobob at cox.net>
>To: "NSRCA" <discussion at nsrca.org>
>Subject: Another "Desperation" Tip
>Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:11:38 -0500
>
>Blew off a tailwheel the other day....horrible runway grooves snagged
it....the tire went off into the nether regions of un-searchable
"rough" on either side of our band-aid sized runway.
>     Rummaging in the box I found two of the 3/4" round servo
wheels...you know...the ones we don't use for ANYTHING and have a handful
of?  Sanded 'em so they'd glue together to form a hub.  Drilled the hole in
the center to accept my 1/8" dia nylon tubing, CA'd all of that
together.  Drilled the center tubing after it cured with a 7/64" drill.
>     Took a 1/4" wide slice of Mac's header, and CA'd THAT to the
outside edge of the "hub"....used the black rubberized CA, it
seems to hold okay to clean silicone.
>     Instant tailwheel.  (For emergency use only, as it is RIDICULOUS
looking - but when there's nothing else for 30 miles, or 3 days....)