Off Topic - tools

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 9 05:08:52 AKDT 2004

Jim, my Saturn actually has the same kind of fastener. It is actually an allen bolt with a center pin to keep a normal allen wrench from fitting. If you have the time you can probably get one cheap and fast out of your local wrecking yard. Just find any model Saturn (or make of the car in question) and look in the glove box / center console.

Hope this helps.
Anthony

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com wrote:

Hi All,

After moving to FL and registering my cars, I realized that someone had installed a license plate with what appeared to be allen head bolts.  Upon closer inspection, the actual bolt has a hex-like shape, with a STUD in the center.  Thus, if I were to use an allen wrench, it would have to be hollow to allow to actually work.  I looked up some tools on the McMaster Carr website and a tool on catalog page 2662, called the, "Tamper-Resistent Torx."  Not being familiar with this type of tool/fastener, I was hoping someone could shed some light on the subject before I ordered it (for instance, is there an Allen style tamper resistant fastener, or only the "torx" style head?).

Thanks,
Jim W.