A Wing Question

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 15:41:38 AKDT 2004

Bob, I haven't measured it but do have some knowledge about the subject. What
you are asking is "what is the force exerted on or by the wing, spanwise,
during the most violent maneuver". Consider that the wing panels weigh in at
about 1lb each and may experience rotational acceleration (centripetal
acceleration) of about 20 g's in a snap or very fast roll (it's actually alot less than
that but trying to make a point). The force each panel needs to be retained by
is around 20 pounds max

I use a 10 32 plastic bolt and nut to retain same. Break strength of the 10
32 plastic bolt is approximately 125 pounds with a yield load of around 60
pounds. The shear strength of the threads is high enough to retain the bolt during
the tensile testing
and wasn't actually measured (more than the bolt head's break strength; that
broke first)
. Regardless, quite the overkill

Matt