Digital Servos vs analog servos on Ailerons

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Fri Jul 2 20:41:37 AKDT 2004

>Don,
>
>Interesting report.
>
>If you get a chance I suggest you try out the JR 9411SA's (nylon
>gears), they are incredibly tight with absolutely no slop. I flew
>the 9411 for about 200 flights and they developed quite a bit of
>slop. I then switched to 9411SA and was amazed how tight they were,
>much tighter than the 9411 brand new. It made a noticeable
>difference in how steady the plane flies. Also did the same on my
>elevator servos in the stab, changed the 3421's to the 3421SA's. The
>3421's had also developed a lot of slop after 200 flights. For the
>rudder I run the 8411SA. Unless I run into problems with the nylon
>gears stripping I'm really sold on the SA's. Of course, flying FAI
>you put a lot more stress on your servos.
>
>On my second plane I run pull-pull on the elevator and use the JR
>8417 which seems to be the defacto digital elevator servo in the JR
>line. It's a great servo but even brand new it's not nearly as tight
>and slop free as the SA's. I'm considering changing the elevator to
>the 8411SA, though it's not as fast as the 8417.
>
>Keith Black

Keith,

Replace the stock 8417 gears with 8101 nylon gears and you'll have
yourself an 8417SA (the 8411, the 8411SA, and the 8417 all use
essentially the same gear set).

Also, if you change out the metal output gear on the SA's for nylons
you'll see an even tighter gear train.  It's a pain to do but well
worth it.

Thx, Jerry
--
Jerry Budd