YS FZ91 Problem

Park IhnCheol patternflyer at msn.com
Thu Jan 29 15:03:16 AKST 2004

More drag on throttle barrel is due to the inconsistent torque on those 6
screws for the backplate.

Does the engine quit on the ground if it is idled for a similar period of
time as in landing?

I have a few questions to ask since I am still running one YS 91.  For
comparison purpose.

What size prop? APC 14x10 or 15x8 are the only props that I used for the
last 5 YS 91 AC/FZ engines. All my YS & OS engines been running with Magnum
#1 & 2, now DZ fuel.

What rpm do you get at full throttle?

I am sure you did when replacing the tubings, but Fuel filter replaced or
cleaned?  Check valve cleaned?

Ihncheol Park

>From: Ed White <edvwhite at yahoo.com>
>To: discussion at nsrca.org
>Subject: Re: YS FZ91 Problem
>Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:44:25 -0800 (PST)
>Folks, thanks for all the responses!
>
>I'll try to answer as many of the questions raised in previous emails as I
can.

>He does have a computer radio, a Futaba 8UAF.  He is not using the Idle
Down function or mixing that would affect the idle.  I have the same radio
and am very familiar with those functions.

>We set the idle on the ground to be around 2000-2100 rpm and set the low
speed adjustment as you would on any other YS, so the idle is constant,
doesn't speed up or slow down.  Don't know that we ever let it idle for a
full five minutes but certainly for more than 2 minutes.  Then has good
clean transition and goes to full power.

>We have tried speeding up the idle.  If it is speeded up enough to keep
the engine running the plane is nearly impossible to land because it won't
slow down.  Back down on the throttle trim to something manageable for
landing and it quits.

>We've run Magnum #1 and changed glow plugs (OS #F).  And replumbed the
fuel tubing.

>It seems to hold pressure just fine, plenty of pressure even after a dead
stick.

>It was sent back to YS and as I said they installed an updated piston.  I
didn't mention that they bench ran it for a full tank.

>The gaskets I looked at looked good.  They're stock YS.  As far as I know,
leak free gaskets aren't available for the 91's.  The regulator diaphragm
also looks good, no distortion.  The mating surfaces under the gaskets have
no nicks or other obvious leak paths, but neither are they polished smooth.

>Loose engine mount and or crappy throttle servo - Hmmm, now that is
something I haven't looked at.  We may have something here.  I noticed the
throttle barrel has a bit more drag to it than I have typically seen on
most engines, but not so much that it seemed  excessive.  He has flown this
exact same plane (same servo and throttle linkage) with an OS 91 Surpass.
Idle was great, rock solid, couldn't ask for better.  Power was less than
pitiful.