Need Some Help-Focus version 1

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 12:01:47 AKST 2004

Some on this list will tell you that the throws between the two stab servos
may not match correctly, especially as they age. This may be true in some
cases but I have two servos in the stab of my Aries and I haven't noticed
any problem. Granted I'm not the most experienced as I only fly Intermediate
but I've had others (Advanced, Maters, FAI) pilots fly my plane and they
seemed to think it flies straight. Currently it only has about 140 flights
on it so this may change in time.

If you don't have a problem with CG then I'd leave the stab servos there
since it's already setup that way. You can always change it later if you fly
it and can't get it correct.

For my stab servos I use the JR DS3421 mini digital. They are quite light,
pretty fast, and at 65 in oz each which is plenty strong.

To make sure the throws match I first align both halves at center using the
radio to adjust the center point of each half. I then tape one of those
little laser pointers to each elevator half (I use the ones that came with
the Great Planes incident meter, but any small light laser pointer will
work). Be sure the pointers are located in exactly the same location on the
elevator. Point the laser pointers backwards against a flat (I use the side
of my freezer). Shim the pointers so the dots are either right next to each
other or on top of each other (EXACTLY). Then move the elevators up and down
with the radio. The pointers initially will not travel exactly the same
speed or distance. Use the radio to adjust the travel on the slave half to
match the master half exactly. When you have them both at exactly the same
point throughout the entire throw range try moving the elevator both very
slow then very quickly. If done correctly they should match each other
exactly. FYI, after the laser pointers are mounted the work to adjust the
throws in the radio takes me less than five minutes. Maybe I'm just luck,
but it seems very easy.

FYI, I checked my throws after about 130 flights are things are still right
on the money.

That being said, on the new plane I'm building I'm going with a pull-pull
elevator to save a bit of weight and just to try something new. But since
your plane is already setup with stab servos it's say it's worth giving it a
try unless CG will be an issue.

Keith Black