Artistic Aerobatics suggestions

Wayne Galligan wgalligan at goodsonacura.com
Tue Jan 27 13:59:22 AKST 2004

I think we will also have one of the largest Advanced classes in the country
here in D6 this year. We will probably see as many as 12-15 in this class
for this year. In large part to the grooming and nurturing that Lance & Gray
and a few others like Art Wagner & Gene Maurice have had on the newbies.  Me
being one of them.  Excuse me if I have missed a few others.
They have given us the one thing that really brings us all together.
That is camaraderie and experience.  This  I didn't see from but only
a few when I first got into pattern in the 70's.  I think we(D6) are going
in
the right direction. It looks to me like it is more growing pains rather
then a decline of interest at least in our district.  Is cost is a primary
concern here? I though so at first until I understood what a real pattern
plane was. That first perception is a big one.  It is a big leap when you
are coming from the sport flyers ranks.  Letting sportsman class fly what
they bring gets them involve in the big scheme. The guys flying jets, IMAC
and scale are spending much more then we would ever think about in pattern.
Keeping from getting burnt out on practice and keeping it fun is my biggest
challenge...  Gime sum more of dat Salsa...

I like the way Earl put it.  We have more per capita of active flyers
involved in our sport then golfers do in theirs.  Do we REALLY have a
problem?  Trust me... if there was $250,000 on the line for a first place
finish we would have more then 1.5% involved in this sport and fewer lending
a helping hand..

Is A.A. a viable format?  It would take a dedicated airplane and pilot.
Thus adding more $$$$ and a different practice format and time.  Only a few
of the few would probably participate.  I don't really see it happening much
at the local contest level.  Perhaps at events like a Joe Nall, NAT's or a
TOC type
invitational.

PAPP member (pitifully addicted pattern person)

Wayne Galligan
NSRCA 3758  D6