Pattern - Golf Comparison

EHaury at aol.com EHaury at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 05:33:16 AKST 2004

We've been in the seasonal discussion of how to grow pattern, what needs
changing, etc. Someone made a reference to golf with respect to a comparison of
excitement (or lack thereof) of watching golf or pattern. Golfers and pattern
flyers seem to somewhat similar in the personal challenge / achievement
category. Of course games involving a simple ball tend to appeal to the masses,
whereas pattern deals with complex equipment. Says something for the technical
orientation of the masses.

Anyway, a story in the paper prompted me to do some number crunching in an
effort to evaluate how the pattern (competition) types compare with the golf pro
players. The golfers claim 26,200,000 players as compared to 170,000 AMA
members. They claim 5800 clubs (courses) as compared to 2500 model clubs (fields).
The golfers consider an active player one who plays 25 rounds a year and is
20% of the players (5.2mm). Seems reasonable to consider an active flyer as one
who flies 25 times a year, so assuming the 20% is realistic, we've about
34000 active flyers. Hmmm - that equates to 14 active flyers / club whereas
golfers have 328. If we then look at the PGA Tournament Player numbers it looks like
around 250 (?) card holders which is about 1% of the active players. (Maybe
1.5% if other venues as LPGA, etc. are included). The number of active pattern
flyers seems to be around 500 or so.  Hmmmm - that equates to 1.5% of active
flyers. Looks pretty close.

My point is that a very small percentage of any venue attracts the people
with the willingness and resources to put forth the effort to participate at a
level of excellence suitable for competition. Then there must be acceptance that
one will not always (or often) win. By DaveL's definition, it takes a special
person to work as hard as pattern requires while knowing one will be a loser!
Receiving the $$$$ the golf guys get for losing would sure help!

We should consider that rule tweaks might attract a few non-competitors, but
at the same time lose some that we have. Most of us are attracted to pattern
for what it is and would like for it to stay pretty close to where it is. Golf
doesn't change to every whim of a potential newbie, but the fraternity is very
good at promoting, training, and helping. It doesn't hurt that the country
club is the center of the community. Hmmm - we get the landfill for a flying
site (and are thankful for it).

Earl