Artistic Aerobatics suggestions

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Jan 26 11:13:34 AKST 2004

Dave:
While the TOC drew large  crowds, the attendees were still model
airplane enthusiasts.  Point being, that even "The Greatest Modeling
Show On Earth"<G> didn't attract large numbers of pure laymen.  Some,
yes; big numbers, no.  And, having been associated with a truly large,
well publicized  contest in 1960 in Miami that DID draw huge numbers of
spectators, (literally thousands of spectators, pictures on the front
page of  the Miami Herald, B & W TV time, etc.) still and all, did
modeling advance because of this?  I fail to see how, if it did.
My feeling is that recruitment will not be coming from the public ranks,
but from interested modelers.

So, for now, I feel that the sport would be best served by satisfying
the folks that are in it presently, and try to turn them into
"recruiters" of additional folks from the local model field, who are
already interested enough to watch pattern folks fly.  Takes work?
Yes.  Doable? Also yes.
And, I'll also say, with a tip of the hat to Dave Lockhart, that the
newer pattern ARF's of reasonable price, will go a long way toward
advancing this sport.

Bill Glaze