Artistic Aerobatics suggestions

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 10:48:57 AKST 2004

E,

I think one of the points of your prior email was that the expense of
competing in pattern is high......and that if pattern were more exciting, it
would be more incentive for people to participate.

I agree with much of your post(s) - where I believe you saw disagreement
with my post was regarding the exciting aspect.  I find many forms of
motorsports racing very exciting (many others find it boring) and would love
to participate - but the cost is prohibitive - and it always will be (for
me) no matter how exciting the event is.  So with respect to pattern -
- If the event is viewed as exciting and within budget, we have a new (or
returning) pattern pilot;
- If the event is not viewed as exciting - the budget doesn't matter and
changing the event to be exciting will make it a different event;
- If the event is viewed as exciting and exceeds the available budget, we
lose a new (or returning) pattern pilot because of cost and the excitement
level is moot.

My point(s) - I agree entirely that pattern is expensive, and more expensive
than it has been in the past.  I don't think the excitement level of pattern
is the big issue (if the event is made to be "exciting", it won't be pattern
anymore).  I think money is a big issue.  And I also think time is a big
issue (60 sized ships were quicker to build, and far less time to maintain).
As much as I love how well the 2M pattern models fly, I think the cost and
time needed for the 2M models has reduced the number of potential (and
former) pattern pilots.  I've never seen competition well served by reducing
the number of competitors - and that is exactly what the escalation of
engine size has done over the past couple rules cycles - and exactly what
will continue to happen if larger airframes (>2M) and heavier airframes
(>5kg) are allowed in the future.  Following this trend to an extreme
example would lead us to pattern planes the size of 40% IMAC models - any
hardcore IMAC guys care to comment on the cost/time/complexity of a 40% IMAC
model compared to a 2M pattern model?

Sound - there is absolutely a corollary between sound, displacement, and
cost.  Big engines are louder.  Big engines are harder to quiet.  Big
engines are more costly to quiet.  Big props for big models make more noise.
The expense and complexity of pattern power systems (engines, exhaust
components, props, softmounts, etc) increased substantially with the
introduction of noise limits.  And no matter how many people may have left
the event because of noise limits, we still have the noise limits to thank
for the event being viable in many parts of the country.  Without a quiet
pattern plane, I would not be able to fly my pattern plane at 90% of the
fields I currently use.  After several years of pretty  nasting fighting
within the group (not unlike pattern in the late 80's), the IMAC contingent
is now also moving towards quieter planes (as did pattern in the early
90's).

In my mind, one of the biggest areas upon which to get new pattern fliers is
from modelers new to the RC hobby.  Many of these new modelers do not
subscribe to magazines, are not members of AMA, don't belong to local clubs,
and have never run or thought of using a glow or gas powered engine.  These
new modelers are the electric park flyers - some of whom do appreciate
regimented flying and competition - trick is/will be exposing them to
pattern.  Electrics in pattern is a whole new topic that is rapidly
changing - for the purposes of this email thread, suffice to say similar
comparisons to 2M sized electrics vs 1.5M electrics can be made in an
analogous manner as 2M glow vs 60 sized glow.  Bigger is more expensive,
more time consuming, and louder.  I'm not yet familiar enough with electrics
to be savvy about how to keep electric costs down - but, it a displacement
rule were to return to pattern, I think limiting the watts of an electric
would be analogous.

Just my experiences.

Regards,
Dave Lockkhart