Artistic Aerobatics

Ed Alt Ed_Alt at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 25 14:18:27 AKST 2004

Bill:
I think that what Fred introduced is an improvement over the previous Freestyle criteria.  The current rules change proposal looks the same as what he introduced at the 2002 IMAC Nats.  Though an unorthodox procedure, he described it at a pilots meeting, asked the pilots to vote and got unanimous consent to use it.  The CD was OK with this change and supposedly so were AMA officials. There was no waiver.  At any rate, I was one of the 4 freestyle judges trying the proposed new criteria out that year.  I thought it was an improvement, providing better tools for a judge to be more objective.  I still don't think you can ever be completely objective for this type of flying, but this seems to be a step forward.

I have to read up on what's being proposed for pattern and get exposed to it through competition.  I'm a complete rookie in this new ballpark, so I can't really comment on AA as proposed, other than share some experience from the IMAC world that might lend a useful perspective to those with the experience & knowledge here.

One thing I like already about pattern is that I haven't yet smashed a part of the Focus II into the wall or ceiling while manuevering it around the workshop to Monokote it.  I used to spend more time patching dings in those 40% planes while building than when flying them.  Much less cussing in the house this way.  Otherwise, I'm pretty much clueless about nose rings, proper soft mounting, wing adjusters etc.  It's almost like starting out new again.  I believe I can probably still tune a glow engine - we'll see.

Good hearing from you
Ed