Intermediate Class

Alan Hewson alan at countryworkshop.ca
Fri Jan 23 20:16:03 AKST 2004

Is this for real?.......putting a 45ºdown positive snap into Intermediate????
Has anyone asked a Sportsman pilot lately to point his plane downward at a 45º down attitude, fly a straight line, DO A SNAP, fly more of a straight line, and then pull to level flight?
IMHO, if you are putting that maneuver in Intermediate, you will be scaring off many potential Intermediate flyers. I can only speak for myself, but, when I was at that level, you could not have even paid me to do that. I had trouble staying on the proper line doing a sequence of "Immelman....Outside loop....Split S" (which was in the sequence at that time).
I know that your decision on this does not affect what I will be flying, BUT,  it is something I believe in passionately. I have been a member of the Canadian Precision Aerobatics Committee for a few years and this type of scenario keeps coming up. I think that most of us making decisions on these matters have NOT flown in Intermediate for several years and we have forgotten what it was like to step up to that level.
PLEASE, go out, yourselves, and talk to Sportsman flyers about this......Maybe even see if they will try to fly the proposed sequence (or just this maneuver).

Thanks to the supporters of this list for creating a media where someone (like me) can send out an opinion (like I just did) and none of you will be seeing me until next summer when you will have forgotten all about this ( I hope).......RUNNING FOR SHELTER.

Alan Hewson
Thornton, Ontario, Canada